Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography, gall stones in bile duct

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My mother-in-law has gall stones and was scheduled for laproscopic surgery. After a pre-operation ultrasound detected the stone in/toward the bile duct, the surgery is postponed and she has been asked to go through an endoscopy. Then, the procedure turned out to be EECP and not endoscopy. What is EECP and what will this procedure achieve?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ,

Thanks for your query ,I have read through the details,

EECP (Enhanced External Counter Pulsation ) is a modren technique involved in supportive and or conservative treatment of angina pectoris ( Chest pain due to block in the blood vessel supplying the heart ).It uses a specialized machine where patient lies on a bed , BP apparatus cuffs being wrapped around his legs, the leg cuffs are inflated and deflated with each heartbeat. This is achieved by a computer connected to the machine which triggers off the patient’s ECG so that the cuffs deflate just as each heartbeat begins, and inflate just as each heartbeat ends.It increases blood flow to the diseased arteries by 200% and opens up collaterals ( alternate blood flow channels ).
Thus it relieves chest pain and difficulty in breathing .

EECP is no where a investigation of choice in gall/bile duct stones , unless she has an illness with heart as in above .

I think it probably is ERCP ( Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography ) , which is a choice of investigation in problems of the biliary or pancreatic ductal systems.It is a technique that combines the use of endoscopy and fluoroscopy to diagnose and treat the bile duct or pancreatic duct probelms.Its a superior test to endoscopy in diagnosing conditions of the bile ducts, including gallstones, inflammatory strictures (scars), leaks (from trauma and surgery),and cancer.

ERCP will help in knowing the presence , size and the exact location of the stone in the bile duct in case of your Mother-In-Law.It gives a better field to plan and design the surgery for safe removal of the stone from the bile duct.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Thanks for visiting WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care , Bye

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.