Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
138 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography, gall stones in bile duct

Answered by
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 4017 Questions

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My mother-in-law has gall stones and was scheduled for laproscopic surgery. After a pre-operation ultrasound detected the stone in/toward the bile duct, the surgery is postponed and she has been asked to go through an endoscopy. Then, the procedure turned out to be EECP and not endoscopy. What is EECP and what will this procedure achieve?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 hours later

Thanks for your query ,I have read through the details,

EECP (Enhanced External Counter Pulsation ) is a modren technique involved in supportive and or conservative treatment of angina pectoris ( Chest pain due to block in the blood vessel supplying the heart ).It uses a specialized machine where patient lies on a bed , BP apparatus cuffs being wrapped around his legs, the leg cuffs are inflated and deflated with each heartbeat. This is achieved by a computer connected to the machine which triggers off the patient’s ECG so that the cuffs deflate just as each heartbeat begins, and inflate just as each heartbeat ends.It increases blood flow to the diseased arteries by 200% and opens up collaterals ( alternate blood flow channels ).
Thus it relieves chest pain and difficulty in breathing .

EECP is no where a investigation of choice in gall/bile duct stones , unless she has an illness with heart as in above .

I think it probably is ERCP ( Endoscopic retrograde cholangio pancreatography ) , which is a choice of investigation in problems of the biliary or pancreatic ductal systems.It is a technique that combines the use of endoscopy and fluoroscopy to diagnose and treat the bile duct or pancreatic duct probelms.Its a superior test to endoscopy in diagnosing conditions of the bile ducts, including gallstones, inflammatory strictures (scars), leaks (from trauma and surgery),and cancer.

ERCP will help in knowing the presence , size and the exact location of the stone in the bile duct in case of your Mother-In-Law.It gives a better field to plan and design the surgery for safe removal of the stone from the bile duct.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Thanks for visiting WWW.WWWW.WW
Take care , Bye

Disclaimer: The Expert’s advice is provided for general informational purposes only and SHOULD NOT be relied upon as a substitute for sound professional medical advice, as a complete assessment of an individual has not taken place. Please consult your nearest physician before acting on it. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes also.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Gallstone

doctor1 MD

i have had a tenderness on my right side near bottom of ribs on and off for 2 yrs, had and ultrasound 2 yrs ago for Gallstones and all clear. Since...

doctor1 MD

Hello,I am 21 year old male and I have had not swollen but kind of tingling lymphodes in my groin, and have had pale stools and very dark urine,...

doctor1 MD

I believe I had gallstones, due to the similar symptoms described by many on various internet sites. I managed to relieve some the symptoms, such...

doctor1 MD

Hi...I ve had a hida scan twice..first time my number was a 57. The second time it was a 70. The pain in my rib cage is bad and I am sick a lot..I...

doctor1 MD

What is the surgery for gallbladder removal like these days?

doctor1 MD

Have a 9mm gallstone lodged in the neck of the gallbladder . I have had some pain and nausea . Should I have surgery?

doctor1 MD

I'm male and 48 years old. I had blood work for a physical last week and everything was perfect except for a moderately elevated Alkaline...