Does unprotected anal sex cause genital warts?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I had unprotected anal sex a year ago (I was receiving) and now find i have genital warts. This is the only time I've had anal sex, though I have had oral sex with men and women. I'm going to a urologist to remove the HPV warts. Do I also need to see a colo-rectal specialist to check for anal warts?
i should have mentioned: the warts are on my penis.

also, i misstyped my email address: it is YYYY@YYYY (sorry, not at my best today)
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anal warts, HIV/STD have to be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

It is quite unusual to have Penile warts following the receiving anal sex. Then it could be due to a different source prior to this anal sex.
It is better to have a proctoscopic examination to rule out warts in ano-rectal region 2-4 months after this anal contact as the incubation period for HPV is more than two months.
Moreover HPV could be a marker for other STD/HIV. These diseases also have to be ruled out with necessary blood test 3 months after this contact. Try to stick to protected sex in future.
Dr S.Murugan