Does tetrahydrocannabinol have a harmful effect when interacted with Novocaine?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Pain Management
Question: My wife is going to the dentist this morning. She is very nervous about the pain and novacaine takes extra long to kick in for her( the dentist is taking this into account) she want to know know if she can have some of her THC candy to relax or does it interact with the novacaine?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
As long as no pain management medications are mixed with it

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) does not really have a harmful effect when interacted with novocaine, all it can really do is to make the novocaine a little less effective resulting in her dentist wanting to administer a little more or her having to experience a slight amount f pain during the procedure.

But because she is visiting the dentist for a procedure, I am guessing her dentist may prescribe her pain-management medication. These medications should not be taken until the 'candy' has left her system. The effect of the two can cause some serious damage to her liver, and we wouldn't want her shortening her life span now would we.

I never thought I would give a green signal to anyone who asked me such a question about any substance use so far, but as long as you do not mix any pain medications with the THC, there should really be no serious issue.

I would also like to point out that there is a chance that she takes extra long for the novocaine to kick in because she may have used THC either the same day or a few days prior the procedure.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Shoaib Khan