• question-icon

Is usage of cannabis oil recommended for a 67 year old?

Posted on Wed, 16 Nov 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: is cannibus oil dangerous for a 67 year old man and does the XXXXXXX simpson oil cure there is so much on the net it's confusing. please provide a straight answer if you can thank you
Answered by Dr. Munish Sood 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further information/details

Detailed Answer:
Dear
Thanks for contacting Ayurveda with your health concern and i'm of the following opinion:

1. Medical marijuana either as [tincture/smoking/ointment/oil] is generally considered safe in adults since due to its anti oxidant effects it is widely used in disease(s) where there is inflammation and oxidative damage [hepatitis, arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease]

PS. although marijuana can cause intoxication but CBD does not have the same effect and thus can be used safely by adults [under medical supervision] and one review paper it suggests that controlled cannabidiol administration is safe and non-toxic in humans and animals, and doesn’t induce changes on food intake, nor does it affect physiological parameters like the heart rate, body temperature or blood pressure. According to this review, high doses of up to 1,500 mg/day of CBD seem to be well tolerated in humans, and occasional side effect with CBD noted were:
. inhibition of hepatic drug metabolism by neutralizing activity of P450 enzyme [which may alter the way drug(s) are metabolized inside the body]
. unpleasant dry sensation in mouth.
. high doses may worsen tremor and muscle movement in Parkinson disease sufferer's.

2. Since cannabis oil [CBD oil] is non psychoactive and legal thus has an upper hand against XXXXXXX simpson oil which is habit forming and illegal. [due to the presence of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol)

PS. XXXXXXX Simpson oil has more of THC in it which binds with the CB1 receptors in the brain and produces effect like analgesic,anti inflammatory and neuroprotective properties but the side effects usually outweighs the benefits thus not considered as a treatment option/solution while CBD on the other hand has a greater affinity to the CB2 receptor, and doesn’t cause a psychoactive effect, rather CBD provides health benefits, such as antioxidant, antiemetic, anticonvulsant and anti-tumoral properties and aslo it counteracts the psychoactivity of THC, and acts as a natural antidepressant and neuroprotective agent.

3. Your attending Doctor/Oncologist will be in best position to decide about the same [if needed], so remain under their regular supervision.

Dr. Munish
Consultant Physician
Naimittika

direct online link: bit.ly/drmunishsood
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Munish Sood

Ayurveda Specialist