Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Does taking beta blockers affect the production of beta HCG?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hi, could taking beta blockers affect the production of beta HCG that would be detected in pregnancy?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 45 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, beta blocker is a drug which has short half-life. After its function, it is metabolized in liver to form inert substances which is excreted through body.

So, beta blocker cannot interfere with result of pregnancy test.

For your information, you have to do the pregnancy test on or after the expected date of your period. If you do it before that day, it will be inconclusive.

If you have any doubt regarding the result of your pregnancy test, you can do a serum beta HCG level estimation, which should be increased in pregnancy. Ultrasound scan of whole abdomen is the gold standard investigation regarding pregnancy.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor