Does taking beta blockers affect the production of beta HCG?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, could taking beta blockers affect the production of beta HCG that would be detected in pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 45 minutes later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, beta blocker is a drug which has short half-life. After its function, it is metabolized in liver to form inert substances which is excreted through body.

So, beta blocker cannot interfere with result of pregnancy test.

For your information, you have to do the pregnancy test on or after the expected date of your period. If you do it before that day, it will be inconclusive.

If you have any doubt regarding the result of your pregnancy test, you can do a serum beta HCG level estimation, which should be increased in pregnancy. Ultrasound scan of whole abdomen is the gold standard investigation regarding pregnancy.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.