Does taking Excedrin Migraine aggravate anovulatory bleeding?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I stopped taking Tri-Cylcen Lo around 4 or 5 months ago, after having been on it for several years. I've been experiencing prolonged intermenstrual anovulatory bleeding with no pain, since the beginning of July. I saw a doctor and she prescribed progesterone and said that I would resume bleeding after taking it for 12 days, after which my cycle would hopefully return to normal. I took it and mostly stopped bleeding, but now it has been 3 days since I stopped and I am bleeding again, waiting to see if the cycle will normalize itself. The only medication I take is Spironolactone for acne. What I want to know is, can taking Excedrin Migraine occasionally at a regular dosage interact with Spironolactone, and could that cause or aggravate anovulatory bleeding? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal bleeding after progesterone.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The two medicines that you are taking are not likely to cause the anovulatory bleeding that you are having. The bleeding that you are having after stopping progesterone is the withdrawal bleeding. To stop this bleeding it is best to start with oral contraceptive again for 2-3 cycles.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal