Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Does spleen enlargement cause middle back pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1462 Questions
CT scan shows mild spleen enlargement. should i be worried about this? i have chronic middle back pain and i am not sure if this from an infectious disease (prostatitis) or because my spleen is inflamed or if mild splenomegaly can cause such discomfort for over a year now. Life threatening? possible causes are infectious disease and toxins for enlarged spleen? Why should i go and see a Hematologist?
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be serious Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your query. This much mild spleen enlargement is seen in many persons who are otherwise healthy. It is usually of no consequence. Nor it can explain back pain. The back pain is unlikely to be prostatitis and prostatitis is anyway uncommon in someone of your age. The back pain may be due to muscle or bone origin, due to some trivial injury, wrong posture, strain on spine, etc. You may get a complete blood count done, if that is normal you can skip the hematologist consult. However, please discuss these with your primary doc, as he or she is the best judge on the next step. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor