Does nasal polyps cause sore throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
hello! i was diagnosed with nasal polyps and i was wondering if they could cause throat problems like having a sore throat very often, cause that's what's happening to me. if so, what can i do to avoid this? i got to mention that i am a smoker as well.
Posted Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Yes, nasal polyps can cause recurrent sore throat.

Nasal polyps block the nasal cavity and thus restrict the entry and exit of the air. This leads to mouth breathing and thus drying of the secretions in the throat. Dry throat becomes an open field for the bacteria and virus, thus causing recurrent throat infections.

Also, reflux of acid from the stomach into the throat can irritate the throat and cause recurrent sore throat.

Complete examination of the nose, throat and the larynx will aid in identifying the actual cause of your problem.

My suggestions to you are:
1. To use steroid nasal spray for the reduction of the nasal polyps
2. Drink plenty of warm water
3. Avoid coffee/tea/chilled food & beverages/smoking (if any)

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon