• question-icon

Does intake of Gabapentin help in pain management?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: hi is Baptin a pain fx?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Really not finding any listing for it.

Detailed Answer:
I think you should check the spelling on that one. Bactrim or septin are common antibiotics (sulfa drug). I think this is the most likely medication that you are referring to. Furthermore I do not know any pain medication, narcotic or otherwise, that are even close to that name.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 1 hour later
Misspelled neurhtion/Gaptin

Gabapentin 600 g. 6 times a day
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is an anti epileptic drug

Detailed Answer:
That is a bit on the high side and it is a bit unlikely to have more effect if used more than four times a day which is the usual maximal dose. However, it is quite a safe drug and the only side effect from it that is common is (mild) sedation.

It is a drug for epilepsy and not a narcotic. None the less, it is often helpful for pain IF the pain is from a nerve that is irritated, hurt, damaged, and/or causing pain. Symptoms of nerve pain are pain that runs in the direction of a nerve, has the character of a nerve pain (electrical, shooting, often with a numb or temperature component), and often has symptoms of making a sensation that should not be painful be painful and increased pain from a minor stimulation. The drug is particularly good at stopping this increased sensitivity and it does not have the consequences of narcotic pain medication.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 2 hours later
Thank you have never on right side of head. A Dr took a piece out and that was years ago with extrem headaches and now hurts and is ver tender. Thank you for info about rx. I am a military widow. DJB
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems an ideal drug

Detailed Answer:
It is often used with nerve trauma...surgical and otherwise. Often, what seems like a headache is an irritated nerve. Gabapentin is probably the most commonly used drug for it because it is quite safe. Furthermore with a brain injury, its anti epileptic effects are likely to be beneficial.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist