question-icon

Does hawthorne leaf promote healthy blood pressure levels?

default
Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014
Question: "Health supplements" that sound good are being sold online except they fail to mention soy as a possible ingredient. My endocrinologist says never to eat soy if I know it's in there, as soy is a possible cause of hypothyroidism, which I have. Googling soy online tells me soy's a bad idea for practicallly everyone; trouble is, SOY IS IN ALMOST EVERYTHING AND IS USUALLY DISGUISED ON THE LABEL, so my only solution is to buy nothing in a can or a box (processed), but to eat about 80% non-GMO and MSG-free plant foods (fruits and vegetables) and very little meat unless grass fed, no dairy, substituting something like almond milk for cow's milk (when I gave up cow's milk my skin cleared up in about two weeks. Also I've been following a low-starch regime, basically limiting bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and corn. Every day I don't eat most of these five things I lose a pound or two, but it's LOW starch, not NO starch so I just pick the one or two starchy things to eat that I find hard to resist, and eliminate the rest. This has worked out quite well and I've managed to keep my blood sugar under control following this diet and walking in my neighborhood each morning I can lose a pound or two most days.
Since I haven't trusted the FDA since 1973 and have been a semi-healthfood freak since then, I'd like to find out in advance of buying a supplement such as Liv-Lean Formula whether or not it contains soy. The online doctor who sells this does not mention soy at all. Twice I've bought something on someone's say-so that there was no soy, only to discover after receiving it that it said right on the bottle "contains soy."
PS: I was in a nationwide study on Diabetes Type II at the end of which I was told there was a 70% less chance of being diagnosed diabetic with diet and exercise, and only a 30% less chance with the drug Metformin, which I was on but later declined to take as it made me fatigued. UT at XXXXXXX Diabetes Type 2 Prevention Program said I could stay in the study and switch to the diet and exercise group, which I did and they're still following me twice a year, I suppose as long as the XXXXXXX money holds out. I seem either to have reversed Diabetes II or at least eliminated its symptoms such as fluctuating blood sugar and neuropathy. I am age 80 and have nothing that needs attention except hypothyroid, chronic chapped lips, and oh yes, I drink a glass or two of wine most days so I take milk thistle to ward off liver dysfunction. My daughter and friends think I likely will live to age 100, but I tell them I don't want to live one day longer than I feel good. I already worry about outliving my grandchildren who are big into junk food, but so was I when I was their age. It's just that back in the Age of Roosevelt junk food wasn't as junky as it is now. I believe hypothyroid is much worse than diabetes ever was for me. For one thing it's harder for me to control -- something to do with iodine which one can get too much or too little of, and I have no idea how much is too much and how much is too little. My doctor wants to put me on a drug for hypertension, all the while saying my blood pressure is not all that high. I went directly to Whole Foods and bought Hawthorne leaf, which I rather believe promotes healthy blood pressure levels, cardiovascular function, and antioxidant protection. ANY IDEAS???
doctor
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T (9 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Hawthorne leaf is good

Detailed Answer:
Hi,

Thanks for your query.

I appreciate your life style and the concern you have towards your health. I believe you are on the right path. The diet you are on is very good and yes, it could have prevented diabetes in you.

I agree in what you say, living healthy is much better than living long. I appreciate you on this thought. Do continue the same food habits.

Yes, most of the protein rich foods available processed do contain considerable amount of soy as the protein content and it may not be highlighted. Avoiding such processed food as you are already doing is the only remedy.

Yes, Hawthorne leaf do have effect on the hemodynamics and helps in preventing heart and blood pressure problems. As far as iodine is concerned the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 150-290 micrograms. This can be easily gained by daily usage of iodized salt or sea food once a week.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please revert back if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Raju A.T

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 4136 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Does hawthorne leaf promote healthy blood pressure levels?

Brief Answer: Hawthorne leaf is good Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your life style and the concern you have towards your health. I believe you are on the right path. The diet you are on is very good and yes, it could have prevented diabetes in you. I agree in what you say, living healthy is much better than living long. I appreciate you on this thought. Do continue the same food habits. Yes, most of the protein rich foods available processed do contain considerable amount of soy as the protein content and it may not be highlighted. Avoiding such processed food as you are already doing is the only remedy. Yes, Hawthorne leaf do have effect on the hemodynamics and helps in preventing heart and blood pressure problems. As far as iodine is concerned the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) is 150-290 micrograms. This can be easily gained by daily usage of iodized salt or sea food once a week. Hope, I answered your query. Please revert back if you have any further queries. Wish you good health. regards,