What causes severe chapped lips and cold sore?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 35 y.o., 5'8", 135 pounds. I have a pin prick sized white dot on the inside-front of my upper lip. Approximately 2 months ago, in the same spot, I was worried that I was getting a cold sore (I've never had one), because of how irritated the area was. The irritation seems to come and go. But the white dot remains. It's tiny. No noticeable swelling or redness. Just irritation that is similar to severely chapped lips. What could be causing this, and is my GP someone that I could go to? He's missed Basal Cell on me before, so I'm hesitant to return for something like this.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spot or milia, upload pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and understand your concern.
According to your complaints it could be a fordyce spot or milia.
Both are benign conditions but I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected area so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
I can't get the dot to show up in the picture. Especially since I have to hold my lip up..... This isn't on the line between the inside and outside of my lip. It's further inside than that. And it's tiny. But that whole section of my lip (close to the entire right half of my upper lip) is very tender. I thought that fordyce spots and milia were not painful?

I've had nothing as far as trauma is concerned. It's too far inside my lip to have bitten it, and like I said, this has been going on for a solid two months.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Inflammed cyst or wart, go for clinical examination

Detailed Answer:
The other possibilities are an inflammed cyst or wart of the mucosa of the oral cavity.
I would recommend you to consult the GP and go for clinical examination of the lesion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng