Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Does glucose intolerance and allergy to glucose mean the same?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 2690 Questions
Yes, thank you. Is glucose intolerance the same as an allergy to glucose? And what are the symptoms of that intolerance? thank you, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 7 Feb 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: explaining diabetes Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX This is Dr Saumya Mittal. And I am a diabetician. To answer your query. Glucose intolerance and glucose allergy are two different things. They are not the same. Glucose intolerance is what you could probably call as pre-diabetes. The fasting sugar levels are not normal (126). Glucose allergy on the other hand has nothing to do with sugars. Its a disease where one develops abdominal symptoms like pain, bloating, nausea and vomiting and loose stools on ingestion of glucose. As for the symptoms of glucose intolerance, it is more like diabetes- a silent disease to a large extent. There may be symptoms like unexplained weight loss/gain, increased thirst and urine output, delayed wound healing and difficult infection control. Of course the high sugars affect each and every part of the body. While glucose intolerance is largely treated by good diet and weight control, glucose allergy may improve by simply avoiding glucose. I hope this helps you. Its a huge topic- diabetes and associated disorder. One could read volumes on the disease. So this is limited information only. Just to give you an idea. Any further queries are welcome. And I will be happy to respond. Dr Saumya Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor