Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes tightness and pain in the gums after wisdom tooth extraction?

Question
Hi
My daughter had her 4 wisdom teeth removed last thursday. Bottom ones were stitched top ones removed unstitched.
We have kept soft foods up, antibiotics, painkillers ice packs, clean teeth after each meal and bath in warm salt water, but tonight she is complaining her gums feel tight.
What do you think it is. Could it be part of the healing? She has a little pain at times.
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Priyanka Tiwari 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems like bony spicules or bacterial infection.examination.Xray

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for consulting Healthcaremagic.
This is Dr. Priyanka tiwari answering your query.

I have read your query and understand your concern. As far as tightness of gums and little pain is concerned after wisdom tooth extraction this can be due to bony spicules or bacterial infection.

I would like to tell you that the wound healing after wisdom tooth extraction takes 1 month to heal, but complete wound healing takes 3 months. This area is often difficult to clean and often invites bacterial infection, so I would advise you to gargle after every meal, avoid eating from that side and take lukewarm saline and antiseptic mouthwash rinses.

Also visit to the concerned Dentist and get an x-ray done of the region probably there could be presence of some bony spicules roughness in the bone or tissue growth which could be easily removed by him. If there is any spicule or roughness in the region it could be trimmed and restitched by your Dentist, any tissue growth can be removed surgically.

Hope this will help you.
If you have further query I will be happy to help.