Does gastric belching trigger recurrent hiccups?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been hicupping followed by belching since wednesday can not make it stop I have an ulcer and take prilosec everyday have tried tums pepto misol breahing into a baggie
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs supportive care and admission if persistent

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Acid reflux is the commonest notorious cause for hiccups and unless this underlying condition is managed, hiccups stay and dietary triggers like large meals, alcoholic beverages, soda, coffee, tea,spicy foods, fatty foods, processed & canned foods, chocolates etc worsen it.

Breathing into paper bag, gargles with iced water, cold water sips, diaphragm pacing, prayers, mental distraction helps. Use of chlorpromazine is a drug of choice and works like charm. Anxiolytics and other sedatives may also be started.

if the hiccups still persist then its a medical emergency and will need short stay at hospital with efforts of some intravenous medications to stop the hiccups.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

regards XXXXXXX