Does discontinuation of avloclor malaria and contraceptive pill cause delayed periods?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi before going on holiday to the dominican i was taking avcolor maleria tablets (cant remember how to spell them) then 2 weeks after my first 2 tablets i came down with a servere sickness bug once recovering from that i started feeling very sick evey day and feeling dizzy (this has gone on for the duration of the holiday and afterwards) in total about 7 weeks i stopped taking my maleria tablets thinking this could of been making me ill yet i got violent headaches and again felt sick but not actually sick every day even certain smells or foods made me feel sick.. the headaches have eased a little bit as has the sickness also with me feeling poorly i stopped my contraceptive pill 4 weeks a go, when i stopped it i had a normal period then a few days later had a bit of spotting now my period is late. i know this is very confusing just need some advice please.
i am 22 weigh 7 stone with no other medical problems related to this.
Lauren
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
You are having an overdue period with a feeling of sickness. The first thing I would suggest you is to for a urine for pregnancy test to rule out the pregnancy with the early morning first sample of urine. If the test comes negative then you can just wait for few more days for your period to come. During traveling, such a delay in periods is a common happening.
Everything you describe here sounds like most likely a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, headache, feeling of sickness, altered smell,etc.
These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. Exercise is actually good for the immune system which is why I suggest it here. In addition you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.

I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T