Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Does belly growth indicate any tumor with history of Spondyloarthropathy ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
HI! I'm Curious about my somewhat rapid belly girth. I am a 48 yo female with two children ages 9 & 6 produced via intensive IVF ( I mention this because I had 11 stimulated IVF cycles on XXXXXXX FSH plus other meds). Oddly in 2006 I was diagnosed with long standing Spondyloprathy - diagnosed by a University based Rheumatologist (possibly Ankylosing Spondyothropathy). I went through 14+ months trying various NSAIDS to no avail. I am now on Fentanyl Patch. I have rejected, for the time being, TNF a blockers as my children are so young and sick all the time with usual childhood bugs, and my mother has latent, never treated TB. I am about 5'7" and used to be 115 now about 120-125. My belly - only - belly is larger. I am also perimenopausal -perhaps fully in menopause (12 month wait right?). After all the IVF meds , as well as the cocktail of meds the docs had/have me on for the AS or Undifferentiated AS, I'm nervous about malignancies. The main question is how can I tell I'm just getting a belly due to age and meopause v something more sinister (remember I was 5"7 115lbs!,the human coat hangar, the but of jokes!), Now look 4 months pregnant (with my second), with my first I did not show until 6.5 months , I worked in government in Washington right before 911, and NO one could tell I was pregnant!
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
A growing belly does not mean that you have a tumor growing inside. You are otherwise a healthy female with no major symptoms right now. Having Spondyloarthropathy is an age -related problem. Taking NSAIDS for long time may cause gastric acidity and erosions only.
If you still want to be sure that the belly you have is an age related change only then you can get your complete blood work up done along with an ultrasound scan of your whole abdomen to detect any abnormal masses.
To confirm that you are actually menopausal blood LH, FSH levels will help.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor