Can Movantik be consumed by splitting the medication in half?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
I'm suffering with OIC, for which my doctor gave me samples of Movantic. He was out of the 12.5 samples. Do you think it would be OK if I split them in half? I called Astra Zeneca and they didn't know. The info that came with the samples was contradictory. In one place is said to take whole, not to crush or chew, and in another place it said if you can't swallow it whole, to mix with water or applesauce. Now I'm totally puzzled!!.
I asked this question a couple days ago, and your doctor thought it would be OK. No, in reading the literature, I'm confused and wanted a second opinion.I misspelled my follow-up question...I said "no" instead of "now." Thanks for being so patient!
Tue, 22 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can slpit them in half dear patient.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking query on HealthcareMagicNaloxegol is a peripherally selective opioid antagonist Therapeutically usd for the treatment of opioid-induced constipation and pain in cancer.
Dear patient as per your history you are suffering from OIC(opiod induced constipation) and on the other hand you are taking Naloxegol which itself causes severe constipation.

So as per you query yes you can spill it into half no problems but if you are taking it for treating constipation.I am sorry but it would make things much more worse.Howerver if you ate taking it for pain then its ok you can split them in half.

Hope i was helpful.
Regards!

Follow-up: Can Movantik be consumed by splitting the medication in half? 16 minutes later
This doesn't make sense! This drug is for Opiod Induced Constipation, yet you said that if I take it for that it will make the constipation worse! I was given the drug for constipation, not for pain. I take the fentanyl patch for the pain.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up.

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient i think there is a typo mistake in my last line.
Its for opiod induced constipation.
One suggestion is try to take Miralax also 15 ml once daily along with it.It would potentiate the effect.
2tsf of fybogel would also help in forming bulk of stool.
In long term all three would help you a lot.

So sorry for typo in my last line though initially have written that its used to treat oic.
Most of the times splitting is not advised because split tablets may be affected by factors such as heat, humidity and/or moisture content.However of you take it immediately then no problems.
Sorry for typo in previous answer.
Please feel free to follow up.

Hope i was helpful.
Regards!