Does artherosceleorsis of extremities require tests in an elderly?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: Mom is 85 years old- 3 years ago had a bakers cist- and has a had leg cramping- muscle pain upon waking in the morning since- it disipates after 30 minutes after being awake- it seems to her - that the "blood" is draining or "fluid" is draining downwards- should she be tested for artherosceleorsis of extremities- she has taken blood tests and no abnormalities are presenting-
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Well, in some cases this can be seen in baker cyst recurence but considering her age and symptoms it would be good to do Doppler ultrasound or CT angiography of lower legs to see arterial and venous flow. She probably has claudication due to impaired arterial flow. If there is leg swelling in ankles then it may also indicate some heart or kidneys issues, but Doppler ultrasound should be done for a start.
Other causes are less common and include certain neuropathies or muscular issues but this is not probable cause in this case.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad