Does apple cider vinegar pill cause stomach cramps and bloating?

Excellent

Question
I took one apple cider vinegar pill 13 hours and it has been giving me cramps and a lot of gas. I searched online before I took it and didn't find any side effects, but I searched latter and found that it does have some side effects. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A few suggestions, and you should be fine soon sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Apple cider vinegar is very acidic as the main component is acetic acid sir. One of the two most common adverse effects of taking the tablets or consuming the vinegar is esophageal or gastric irritation causing symptoms like heartburn, abdominal discomfort, abdominal bloating, throat irritation, stomach upset, etc.

I would advise you the following to help relieve you of the symptoms:
-Try to purchase an over-the-counter antacid like gelusil liquid and drink one tablespoon three times a day
-Continue to drink plenty of water
-Try to purchase a histamine-2 blocker like ranitidine (eg. Zantac), that can be taken 15 minutes before a meal
-Try to eat fibrous food that will absorb the acid contents
-Eat lots of bread
-Dairy products are alkaline and will help reduce the acidic effect, so continue with this
-Eat bananas
-Avoid all acidic food (citrus fruits, carbonated drinks, etc.)

It might take some time, but you should be fine soon sir. Do not worry or panic, and I think it would be best you avoid these tablets in the future as they do not suit your system sir.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Does apple cider vinegar pill cause stomach cramps and bloating? 2 days later
Dr Shoaib XXXXXXX

Thank you for you assistance. Your advise worked perfectly all my symptoms went away. I took the apple cider vinegar pills (powder form) because they were considered a natural probiotics, but I will no longer take it again. That is the first and last time that I will be taking anymore supplements of any kind expect vitamins.

3 weeks prior to taking the one pill I had applied apple cider (diluted with water to 5% acidity) on a few dark spots that on my arms are no larger than 2 millimeters to fade them. The few spots developed in 2008 after I wasn't careful about applying sun screen for a month during that summer. I didn't spend more than 20mins outside during runs in that period. I know apply sunscrean and don't spend any time in the sun know. But I applied apple cider vinegar in liquid form on the spots 3 to 4 times per week over a 3 weeks period and I stopped using it 4 days ago. I used a vitamin C and E dark spot corrector from Neutrogena as well before this will no adverse effect on my skin. It faded and shrunk the spots a little without feeling thing on my skin. But I looked closely yesterday at the spots again and I noticed very small red specs (1/3 of a millimeter) on my skin, it maybe some small blood under the surface. I am know longer applying it apple cider vinegar to my skin and will not in the future. I should not have applied it in the first place. Will the tiny red specs go away overtime? Should I apply anything to them or see a primary care doctor for the dark spot. Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait-and-watch approach sir, nothing for now

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

The tiny red spots might just be micro-hemorrhage which should pass with time. I would advice a wait-and-watch approach and if at the all the spots either increase in size, cause discomfort or do not disappear within a duration of 3-4 weeks; only then would a doctors consultation be required.

As of now, do not apply anything on it and I am sure they should fade away with time sir.

I am glad I could be of assistance. Please feel free to keep in touch with me for any further clarifications, I am always available to help.

Best wishes.