Does Zeffix Lamivudine impact result for NAAT test?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have been exposed to protected receptive anal sex and unprotected receptive oral sex with a XXXXXXX (unknown status - but most likely he is HIV infected as he works in a massage store and do the same with his XXXXXXX costumers). his pre-semen and semen has interred into my mouth. I did spit the pre-semen and semen respectively in 30 seconds XXXXXXX and wiped my mouth by tissue. 5 min later I cleaned my mouth by water.

I started using zeffix lamivudine 100 mg 4 days after exposure as PEP treatment in case there is any infection. I take 300 mg per day for only 4 to 5 days.

I was tested negative in both rapid HIV test and NAAT (COBAS S 201 system (TagScreen MPX) HIV-1 M. HIV-1 O. HIV-2. HCV and HBV) test 11.5 days after exposure.

now I feel a little bit pain in:
- the Lymph glands in armpit, legs and XXXXXXX
- Itchy
- a little muscle pain and burning
- lost weight

My question:
How risky is this sex behavior?
How reliable and accurate are my tests?
Do you think taking Zeffix Lamivudine would impact my test result for NAAT test?

I know I asked the same question, but I still wan to hear from specialist.
Thank you for your response in advance
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very less chance to give negative result

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. It is Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering query.
As earlier discussed you are at remote chance of getting HIV.
In continuation of your new query lamivudine affects result:
You have taken lamivudine 4 days after exposure and taken for 4 days.it may reduce to some extent counts of viral RNA but not fully.as you have not taken within 3 days of exposure and you have taken it alone and not in combination with other antietroviral drugs like zidovudine.
So the chances of affecting RNA PCR test is less .
Hope it is clear.
You can get back for any clarification
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 hours later
Thank you Dr Bharatesh

Can I really on my negative result as an accurate one?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You can rely for that day as test negative.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
You can rely on result as after 10 days it has very good specificity.
Just To allay your fears go for test later after 6 months if you desire.
Wish you good health.
Allay fears and lead safe healthy life.
You can get back to me for any clarification else you can close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh