Does Lexapro cause dental problems?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am taking lexipro--does
it cause dental problems
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lexapro does not directly effect the health of one's teeth.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Lexipro (escitalopram) does not directly cause dental problems. The only association might be if it gives you acid reflux, then the acid might harm your teeth.

It is hard to know which of your medications would be best for you, but as a whole, Lexapro has fewer side effects for most people than Zoloft does. They are both SSRIs and work similarly, but of the two, Lexapro has fewer side effects.

Cymbalta works on different receptors than the regular SSRIs. You will have to see which works best for you.

Remeron is knows to be a very effective antidepressant - one of the best - but it also has a high risk of weight gain.

Does this answer your question?