Does Klebsiella cause vaginal infections?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Is Klebsiella ever responsible for vaginal infections? How long can the patient expect to be on antibiotics? I have read that this infection is usually a result of hospitalization or being a resident in a nursing facility. Apparently my sister has this infection, but was in the nursing home only 3 days when she showed symptoms. Does it come on that fast?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
CAN CAUSE VAGINAL INFECTIONS

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
To answer your questions, -
1. Yes, Klebsiella is known to be incriminated in vaginal infections.
2. Depending on the type of strain and severity of infections, antibiotics may continue from upto 1 - 2 weeks.
3. Yes, Klebsiella is generally hospital acquired or ICU acquired, commonly from bladder catheters or other tubes placed inside the body.
4. Yes, the symptoms can show up in a day or two, so it is possible she picked it up from the nursing home.
The lack of hygiene ( induced by dementia ) and the diabetes - both make her easily prone to such infections.
I would love to be more specific if you have any further issues.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further