Can Lexapro and Cymbalta cause early dementia?

Neurologist
Question
Currently taking Zonegram for migraines, lexapro for mild depression and cymbalta for mild depression a anxiety. along with adderall for years i have been complaining of not being able to find words, and forgetfullness. I was tested about 1 year ago and diagnosed with adult add, was on Vvance it did not work started adderal recently. I am concerned the the lexapro and cymbalta are the real culprits. I was really worried about early dementia . that was the reason for the testing for add. they say no. can any of these drugs cause memory loss?
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not associated with those drugs, often though with anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern regarding side effects of those antidepressants.

However memory loss is not a side effect of these drugs, neither of Lexapro nor of Cymbalta, I do not think that they are the cause.

On the other hand anxiety and depression which you take them for are known as common mimics of dementia. That is not because there is a true memory loss but because they affect concentration, hence affection retention of information. So I think that is a much more likely cause.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.