Does Codeine help to reduce the withdrawal symptoms of Oxycodone?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I'm been currently taking 30mg of oxycodone hydrochloride post shoulder surgery for the last 18months and I now wanting to taper off and go straight onto panadeine forte

Is codeine (Panadeine forte) the most suitable medication to prevent severe withdrawal symptoms while weaning? What daily dose should I take??

Will I still go through any withdrawal symptoms if I take a high dose of Codeine?

Kind regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need to gradually decrease doses.

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Both oxycodon and codeine are opium derivative. I do not see any point in taking one drug on the place of another. You need to gradually decrease oxycodone doses. Stopping it suddenly can cause withdrawal symptoms. You may feel anxiety, depression, headache, increase heart rate. You can take following treatment for these symptoms.
1.Hot water bath
2.Rest, sleep.
3.NSAID like Brufen or Voveron
4.Paracetamol
5.Ciplar or alprazolam
These medication will help in treating withdrawal symptoms. You will feel better after taking these drugs.I hope this answer will be useful for you.Let me know if there is any other followup questions.
thanks