Does Coccyx injury cause Urinary problems?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi, my name is XXXXXXX

Please correct me if I'm asking the wrong specialist. I just didn't know who's the right one to answer. I've been having problems with urination. In particular, after urination I get several hours of tiny amount of leakage which makes my underwear constantly wet. I had an MRI done of the brain, together with all possible blood test and my neurologist excluded all possible physical or neurological cause. However, my spine was not investigated.

Last year I spent an unbelievable amount of time sitting on an extremely uncomfortable chair, writing my dissertation and preparing for exams. I suffered from unbearable back pain as a result and went to see a rehabilitation specialist. They ran an x-ray and found a 'dislocated' coccyx, if I'm saying it correctly. The specialist corrected its position. It helped a little but I'm still having problems. My question is - can the coccyx cause urination problems?

I'm attaching the x-ray.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not usually.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms. I have also seen the x-rays.

I would like to point out that a coccyx injury would not lead to problems with urination.

However, a problem with spine (usually lumbar or sacral) may cause problems with urination. Therefore, I request you to complete an MRI scan of lumbo-sacral spine to exclude any problem, if there are no other causes identified.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in