Does Aspirin cause erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Can aspirin stop me getting an erection
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible link years ago

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different medications that can potentially affect the ability to get an erection.
There was a study released in 2011 that suggested that aspirin was linked to causing ED but further studies were suggested to confirm this to ensure that it was accurate because it was initially supposed that it should help.

The medication was used in many older men who also had ED but whether this is coincidental or not needs to be confirmed.

Confirmatory studies are to be done, in the meantime , since aspirin plays an important preventing heart disease and stroke.

Erectile function requires : (1)normal nerve supply to the genital region (2) normal blood supply (3) adequate levels of certain hormones
(4)absence of any emotional or psychological problems

In many persons the problem is with the blood supply. Diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, inactivity, smoking can affect the blood supply and result in blockages in these blood vessels.

The medications that you mentioned above, viagra and levitra, widen the blood vessels and therefore increase the blood flow to the area.

It the doses of viagra and levitra that you used were not effective, then you may want to try using one of them at the maximum allowed dose. If using either of these at the maximum dose is not helpful then you may to try cialis.

If this is not effective, there are other treatments, not as commonly used, that may be helpful

Summary: (1)there is a possible link in a study a few weeks ago but needs confirmation and since this plays an important part in preventing heart disease and stroke, best not to stop aspirin unless advised by your doctor

(2)try the maximum dose of viagra or levitra
If not effective, can try cialis

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 14 minutes later
What is the highest dosage for viagra andlevitra
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
viagra can go up to 100mg

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The maximum dose of viagra is 100mg taken approximately 30 minutes prior

The maximum dose of levitra is 20mg taken 30 to 60 minutes prior.

Only one of these can be used at a time.

Please feel free to ask any other questions