Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Do pistachios cause puffy eyes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
My 9 year old daughter's eye started getting puffy after eating pistachios. No other symptoms, just puffy eyes. She has eaten pistachios before and has had no problems, but I noticed the last two times she has gotten puffy eyes after eating them. Is she having an Allergic Reaction? Should I give her an antihistamine to be on the safe side?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

This is a classic allergic reaction. Very likely what happened is that she had a baseline allergy and after repeated exposure she eventually developed enough of an immune response to manifest itself now in the puffy eyes.

This is a sign that from now on she should avoid pistachios. She may possibly be allergic to other nuts as well so you may want to discuss this with her pediatrician who may refer her for allergy testing.

Right now as long as she is feeling well otherwise with no difficulty breathing or swallowing then you could observe and make sure she remains well hydrated and the swelling should resolve within 12 hours. If she is uncomfortable however you could give her 12.5 to 25 mg of benadryl - remembering that it could make her sleepy.

Thank you again fr the query. I hope my response is both adequate and helpful for you. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor