Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Do irregular periods and lower abdominal pain need medical attention?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2013

Answered : 1313 Questions

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Hello, I am a 34 year old female I have always had issues with my periods. I have had my last period 45 days late and it has lasted 2 weeks so far with light spotting in between. During this period I have passed large blood clots I am a little concerned because I am anemic. Now I am having lower abdominal pain. Is this something that will pass or should seek my doctor.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need some details to guide you better

Detailed Answer:

Thank You for contacting HCM. My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way.There could be a number of causes for your complaint.i would be in a better position to guide you anything if you answer following questions:

1. since when are you having problem with periods?
2. are you married? if yes then do you have children?
3. are you taking contraceptives or have taken in past?
4. did you undergo blood tests(CBC, blood indices, etc) recently? if yes then please share reports.
5. did you undergo ultrasound pelvis? if yes then what was report?
6. did you notice weight gain or facial hairs in last few months?
7. any other complaint that you would like to share?

I will be looking forward for the answers to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 1 hour later
More recently this year but i have always had periods with massive blood clots about every six months or so. Yes i am married we have twins that are 16. I have never taking any contraceptives. I haven't had any blood test. I had a pap and pelvic ultra sound about 6 months ago everything came back normal. I have noticed a change in my weight .
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
PCOs v/s anemia; further workup required at hospital

Detailed Answer:

thank you for getting back with the answers. i have gone through them. Most common differential in your case includes anemia & polycystic ovary disease (PCOs). Both are an important factors causing symptoms like that of yours. To confirm the diagnosis you need to visit hospital and get an appointment for a "Consultant Gynecologist". She will examine you in details and will order some labs including CBC with indices & peripheral smear along with hormonal profile. Further medical treatment will depend upon the lab results. Rest assure, your condition is treatable and there is no need to take stress. Care along with medical treatment will help you in recovering soon.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests ,  

Recent questions on  Stress

doctor1 MD

I have a possible stress fracture in the base of my 3rd toe. MRI and X-ray showed stress reaction. I don t know if that means full stress fracture....

doctor1 MD

Hi, I think I am in perimenopause and when I get in bed at night sometimes I m aware of my heartbeat and sometimes it feels like fluttering or...

doctor1 MD

i am 31 years old and have been married for the last 8 years with a 7 yr old daughter. After my daughter was born i completely lost interest in sex...

doctor1 MD

i am due to have nuclear stress test and i have anxiety disorder. i have put the test off three times, yet i know i really need to have it done.....

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I want to improve my brain performance, so visited Ayurvedic doctor to take the swarna bhasma,i am little obese and having snoring...

doctor1 MD

hi i m facing sleep disturbance since last 8 years i feel too much pressure over and behing myleft ears may be it leads to stress and breaks my...

doctor1 MD

I have low body temperature, and am concerned that my thyroid may be not working optimally. My TSH is 4.13. If I reduce the stress in my life, will...