Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Do i have mouth ulcers due to earlier head injury?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Hi, I split my head open last week playing basketball. I went to the hospital and they glued it together, which has now washed off. I am getting ulcers in my mouth and not sure if I have caught an infection. What to do?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 54 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The ulcers noticed in the oral cavity are termed as Aphthous ulcer or Canker sore. Mouth ulcers following head injury could be due to either medication related or due to the stress following head injury. They are usually seen over the buccal mucosa or over the gingival surface. It is very unlikely to be an infected ulcer.

These ulcers are self limiting; they usually heal by themselves without any sequeale.

You can try taking pain killers such as ibuprofen or diclofenac if the pain is really bothersome and also you need to take Vitamin B-complex every day till the ulcer heals-up completely. Over the counter oral steroid preparations in the gel form are available which you can apply over the affected area after food twice daily. They help in reducing the pain and inflammation .

Avoid alcohol, oily food for few days and drink plenty of lukewarm water to keep the mucosa moist and to increase the blood circulation in the affected area, so that the ulcer heals quickly.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor