Do decreased oxygen saturation levels at night indicate that the oxygen intake needs to be increased?
No studies unfortunately
Usually when we doctors have a patient in older age and especially with lots of cardiac problems it is our duty to control the oxyxen saturation too.
Or when the patient has breathlessness, cianosis,cough or swelling the first thing to do is measuring his saturation.
Because heart failure compromise itself the lung function at the same time.
There are not studies on this concern unfortunately .
The fact that his saturation falls during the night makes me think that he needs more oxyxen intake probably 3-4 litres per minute but it is his treating doctor that will decide about this given the fact that he knows well his clinical condition .
So please discuss with your doctor for the above.
I wish a fast recovery for him
Regards and feel free to ask me again
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fainting low oxygen saturation
- Oxygen saturation level drops with exertion
- Lung cancer oxygen saturation levels
- Smoking oxygen saturation
- Elderly drop oxygen saturation
- Oxygen saturation drops with walking
- Normal oxygen saturation levels during sleep
- Oxygen saturation levels low lung cancer
- "low oxygen saturation levels after surgery"
- Heart problems and oxygen saturation
- Are pulmonary function tests advisable for diagnosing COPD?
- Suggest natural remedies for insomnia
- Suggest treatment for COPD in an elderly person
- Suggest treatment for pain in the ribs
- What causes cold while on Dextromethorphan?
- What causes constant pain in the ribs after injury?
- Suggest treatment for fungal infection in the lungs
- Suggest treatment for dry cough and pain in the ribs
- What causes fever and crackling sound in the cough?
- What causes frequent urination along with zits on the chest and face?