Do antibiotics administered for high fever cause diarrhea?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

my daughter aged 2.6 yrs suffering from fever, cold, cough since 3 days. We have given hattrick syrup for a day and no improvement observed. we visited the doctor and he advised relent (cold), Ambrodil lx (cough), crocin for fever. After a 2 doses, cough got reduced to XXXXXXX extent and cold to some extent. However fever got increased and reached 104 levels.

we rushed to the hospital and got admitted on doctor advice. blood samples are taken . one dose antibiotic through iv is given fluid also given through iv. crocin syrup given. Reports came now and "cr value is 28 normally it shud be 2. also wbc counts. are little more due to infection.

Hospital is reputed one in XXXXXXX .

Can you advise if we are in right course of medication? does antibiotics cause diarrhea?

Asper nurse, one more antibiotics due for tomorrow. and culture result is awaited and that will decide complete .. course. as per doctor we should stay 3nights to complete course.

now on iv fluid and her appetite reduced a lot.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antibiotics might not be needed at all. Tylenol is all

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for this query.

This is clearly an upper respiratory tract infection. Most are caused by viruses and antibiotics are not any useful or neither do they improve recovery. Treatment is supportive with fluids, food and controlling the temperature as this might cause convulsions. Unless there is an added infection caused by bacterias, antibiotics are really not needed.

The course is okay and all I would have been doing is already being done and even more seen that there are antibiotics already on board.

Keep me posted about her progress. I am sure she would soon start recovering from the illness and all will be fine. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 minutes later
can we ask them stop giving further antibiotics and continue with crocin? and oral food? does antibiotics cause diarrhea? or any side effects? dengue and malaria are negative? what could go wrong in culture test?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to stop the antibiotics at this time!

Detailed Answer:
HI,

I will recommend you carry on with the drugs already prescribed. He will be fine and there is really no need changing them, As for the culture, it will most likely be sterile. Antibiotics will not cause diarrhea, at least not in the short run.

I wish you well.