Diet plan to increase weight?

Grace
Grace Abraham

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Diet Plans
Question: i am felling that very thin, my body weight is 48 is constant over years,height is 168.5 cm,
i am eating well, yet i am looks thin , kindly advise me dietiery foods, to get weight in my body.
Answered by Grace Abraham 1 hour later
According to your Height & Weight, your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 16.9 kg/m2; which is considered as Underweight. Whereas the normal BMI range from 18.5 - 24.9 kg/m2. Ideal body weight for your height should be from 65 kg- 70 kg. You need to gain weight in healthier manner so that you don't increase fat percentage in the body. Choose foods which are high in protein and low in fat.

Weight gain is as difficult as losing it, if you are naturally thin. It is not a good idea of increasing intake of junk foods and fatty foods to gain weight. You should be eating calorie dense yet nutritious food. Your calorie intake should come from foods that are healthy for you. The weight gaining diet should include high protein foods, high carbohydrate foods and healthy fats.

Following are some tips to follow to gain weight. You will take some time to gain the weight you need, but be patient.

•Consume more calories than you burn. Choose healthy foods to add calories.
Drink healthy beverages to add calories.
Mangoes are XXXXXXX in calories and carbohydrates; include them in your diet.

•Eat healthy food frequently, 5-6 times a day - 3 larger meals and 3 smaller meals alternately. Separate them by at least 3 hours so you can digest each meal fully. Don't go without food for 5-6 hours after having a major meal.

•Have a balanced diet.

•Protein is the key for the muscle mass. Without adequate protein, muscle gain is not possible because weight training demand for amino acids (which comes from protein).
Good sources of protein foods: whey, fish, dairy products (low fat variety), meats, nuts and seeds (almonds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds).
Milk is one of the best muscle foods.
The milk contains two high quality proteins, about 80 percent whey and 20 percent casein.

•Healthy fats are monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids.
Good fats: cold pressed oils (olive, sunflower, linseed, canola, best cooking oil)

•Complex carbohydrates are also needed.

•Some people think that drinking beer helps gain weight. But it is not true; it accumulates in your abdomen, making it fatty.

•Avoid tea coffee after meals. Avoid sweets at the dinner time. Use full cream milk and curd.

•Soya flour should be mixed in equal parts to wheat flour and mix cream while kneading dough for making chapatti

• Include soya products, nuts and dry fruits in your diet.

Remember that it can take a while to gain the weight you need, but be patient and continue to choose foods that are good for you until you reach your goal weight.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
•Have an extra slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter at breakfast.
•Add extra cheese to an omelet.
•Slice an XXXXXXX and serve with almond butter.
•Stir chopped nuts into plain yogurt and top with honey.
•Serve yourself larger portions of starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet corn.
•Add calories with a nutritious beverage such as milk, 100% fruit juices, or vegetable juice.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan