Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

128 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Diagnosed with spinal disc herniation. Started getting weight. What should I do for weight loss?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
6 Months back, i was diagnised with Herniate Disc condition in the L5 section of spinal cord. Doctor advised me to Continue physiotherapy excersie and also suggested to avoid any surgury. Since then i have put on some weight.

Can i hit the gym adn do some weight control workout. Also, I was into cricket before the back problem. Can i continue playing criket?
Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.

If your symptoms are well controled with conservative management and good physiotherapy , you can avoid surgery.

You can join gym but avoid heavy weight lifting and forward bending becase these increases the pressure over disc. you can continue playing cricket but I advice you first start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist