Diagnosed with spinal disc herniation. Started getting weight. What should I do for weight loss?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: 6 Months back, i was diagnised with Herniate Disc condition in the L5 section of spinal cord. Doctor advised me to Continue physiotherapy excersie and also suggested to avoid any surgury. Since then i have put on some weight.

Can i hit the gym adn do some weight control workout. Also, I was into cricket before the back problem. Can i continue playing criket?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

If your symptoms are well controled with conservative management and good physiotherapy , you can avoid surgery.

You can join gym but avoid heavy weight lifting and forward bending becase these increases the pressure over disc. you can continue playing cricket but I advice you first start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon.