Diagnosed with lyme. Feeling dizzy, itchy skin and peripheral neuropathy. Concerned for amyloidsis

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Just had a Bence XXXXXXX Urinalysis and wanted some help interrupting the results.
I have been diagnosed with lyme but have much skin itching, burning, peripheral neuropathy, dizziness and constant fine XXXXXXX tremor. Attached is copies of my bence XXXXXXX and protein electrophensis.
I am also concerned with Multiple Myeloma and Amyloidsis. I have many symptoms of Amyloidsis including enlarged salavary gland under jaw, ridged fingernails, peripherial neuropathy, muscle wasting and both cataracts replaced within the last two years.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

I want to reassure you that I am confident that you do not have multiple myeloma or amyloidosis.

Your protein electrophoresis study does not indicate that you have any elevations in plasma proteins which would be consistent with multiple myeloma. This is very convincing and the reason why I do not think you have myeloma.

Amyloidosis does have a number of symptoms which might be Similar to what you're dealing with but it does not appear that you have Amyloidosis from the limited lab results you have shared. Also amyloidosis typically will cause patients to have a significant degree of protein loss in the urine. If you have had urinalysis performed and there is elevations in protein and it might be worth investigating further. Otherwise I think your doctors need to investigate additional possible causes of what you're dealing with.

Thanks again for sending your question. Again I am confident that you do not have myeloma or amyloidosis. If you have any additional specific concerns regarding this matter I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert

Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Could you shed some light on the fact that gamma was detected in the Bence XXXXXXX test. And what might cause such a low lumbda count, is that bad?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Normal gamma is 0.5 to 1.4 and yours was 0.74. This is completely normal.

A lower than normal lambda result is not a bad thing.

Again, I see no evidence of myeloma or amyloid here.

Thanks again and take care. I remain available if you have additional concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
I guess I was concerned that on the Bence XXXXXXX the normal for Gamma was "None Detected" and my showed Dectected. I see from the Protein Electrophoresis that Gamma is normal and I am within normal limits. Is there anything to be concerned with where the Bence XXXXXXX show Gamma Detected when the normal would be None Detected?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello again and thanks for the follow up.

I understand the question you are asking at this point. While the test did detect gamma bence XXXXXXX proteins the remainder of the protein exam remains normal. For this result I would suggest a repeat urine study in 3-4 months. One additional test involves a biopsy of the abdominal fat pad which can be stained for amyloid. This is something you might discuss with your physicians to see if they feel that is worthwhile or if they have no other explanation for your symptoms.

Thanks again for discussing your health concerns with me. I'd be happy to discuss any additional concerns you might have as well.

Sincerely,

Dr Robert