Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with fatty liver. What does the reports suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 726 Questions
Please find attached my Mothers' medical reports as she was informed that she has fatty liver. Please help me understand the report and if the medicine prescribed is good enough to cure her or if it requires any serious medical intervention.
Do I need to take a second opinion and are there any more diagnostic tests that needs to be conducted on my mother
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later

Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
I have read your mother's reports in detail and again thanks for attaching the reports. Hepatic Steatosis usually reversible once the cause of the problem is diagnosed and corrected. It can be a temporary or long-term condition, which is not harmful itself, but may lead to some other type of problem if left untreated.
So firstly you have to find out the cause of the condition. One you have is higher or borderline lipid profile components like Total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. You have being prescribed a right medication for it.
Other precautions you have to follow are:
1. Try to reduce weight by either dieting or exercise f your mother is overweight.
2. Avoid alcohol and smoking.
3. Restrict all type of fatty, oily, junk, sugary and spicy food.
4. Your sugar level was very good in reports you have attached but if your mother is diabetic than you have to keep a check on it.
5. In some cases it is due to lower Vitamin E and Vitamin C. Consult your treating doctor whether you need it or not.
6. You need a proper liver tonic or medications which increase the liver mechanism and help in reducing fat.

Now your other query, that whether you need further investigation or not. In my opinion you must check for Hepatitis and liver function test. Please consult your treating doctor and if needed you can go for the investigations.

Hope you got answer to all your queries. Write back if you have further queries. I will be happy to answer them
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor