Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with degenerative lumbar spondylosis. Having unbearable pain. Taking medicine. Any suggestion?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 102 Questions
My father aged 74 is dignosed with degenerative lumbar spondylosis (took MRI) He has unbearable pain since the last one week around the buttocks to the left bottom foot. Pain killers are proving to be useless (Ultracet tabs / Tramadol injection (1ml)/ Tapal tabs 50 mg - Since yesterday after giving Alprax 0.25 mg, it came down, but subsequent doses (.25 mg twice a day) are proving to be ineffective. We are also giving him hot towel bath massage, heat pad etc. Additional info : He is a cardiac patient (85% block, but did not perform surgery as kidney came down after angio. He has daily doses of clopilet and amlong (amlong discontinued now due to normal pressure) - No sugar complaints.
Earlier test results of significance : Serum Creatinine - 1.6, S.Potassium 5.4
Our ortho has said due to his cardiac and nephro conditions and age, surgery may not work.
He was for years on pain killers like Proxyvon and Brufen almost daily due to frequent body pain and hence ordinary and high grade pain killers do not work much for him. (had undergone thyroidectomy 40 years ago and now takes Eltroxin supplement for thyroid).
Kindly advise us what to do to manage this unbearable pain.
The current set of medicines are 1. Ultracet / Zyflex Nano gel / Pantodac / Alprax 0.25 mg twice a day for trauma management which is proving to be insufficient
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for sharing your father's problem with me.
I understand he is in severe pain with multiple medical issues.
So apart from surgery , what might help him best would be to try an injection called transforaminal root block, by which we can inject medicine through back to the nerve causing pain.
It is usually given by pain specialists and is done as an outpatient procedure, so no hospitalisation is required.
So please get in touch with a pain specialist for getting this injection
Hope this answer has helped you
Wishing your father a speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with degenerative lumbar spondylosis. Having unbearable pain. Taking medicine. Any suggestion? 1 hour later
Thank you doctor, very much.

I have some questions on this transforaminal root block injection sir.

How frequent will this be required ?

Our current orthopaedician has not recommended anything like this - would there be any concerns on taking this injection sir ?

I stay in bangalore and gave a call to our ortho (Dr.Shivarajiah) and he reluctantly agreed to give .25 for the evening as well as for night, but cautioned me that it is nothing more than a calm down tablet. I google a lot and understand the various side effects of all the pain killers, but my father is a proxyvon addict (tons of them over the last several years regularly for back pain, which has now become clear that the L5 L6 degeneration has caused it.

Today, the dosage went like this : -
Morning - 0.25 mg Alprax and Ultracet (he calmed down, but complained of pain)

Afternoon - 0.25 mg Alprax and just now one proxyvon.

Night - will give 0.25 mg Alprax as agreed by my Ortho plus may be one more proxyvon.

Hot towel massage, Gels are keeping things a little bit under control, but the pain is flaring up easily. Hope Proxyvon (it gives him a mental boost) keeps pain down today - Doctor, my question is, is this injection painful ? Will it be required too often ? Side effects ? Can I ask my ortho for this ?

Thanks for your advice and timely help.


0000 0000
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 13 hours later
thank you for getting back.
This injection can be taken up to 3 times, but usually not required more than teice.
Its a safe procedure
OPD procedure
It will have the pain of an injection.
I also suggest that you check his sodium and potassium levels in his blood and see if they are normal.
This injections can be given by an ortho surgeon if he has experience in it.
thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor