Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with acute pancreantitus. Have a large pseudocyst in the tail of my pancreas. Other causes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I was diagnosed with acute pancreantitus. I am not a drinker or drug user...the doctor in charge of my case told me that he was going to check for a psuedocyst and said that he found none...he kept badgering me to try to make me admitted that I was a drinker/drug abuser....he against my permission talked to every visitor that o had come see me which was breaking the privacy act and was told by each and everyone of them that I in fact XXXXXXX not use alcohol or drugs.....he was so mean and hurtful to me that he made me cry on several occasions during my stay in the hospital....however upon my release..I went and paid for a copy of my medical records and there it was in black and white that I had a large psuedocyst in the tail of my pancreas. Is this cyst what caused the attack of pancreantitus? And why would he lie about me having one and instead try to make me admitted I was an abuser of drugs and alcohol?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

I am sorry that you experienced such a frustrating hospital course recently. It is clear that there was some type of communication problem between the physician and you during this hospital stay. While the most common reason pancreatitis occurs is it due to chronic alcohol use on occasion it may be due to a another issue.

A pseudo-Cyste is certainly a rare phenomenon but is sometimes seen in a hospital setting. If the doctor you are talking about is a gastroenterologist. I suggest that you try to obtain a second opinion. At this time it serves no benefit to try to talk about what happened in the past as there was clearly a problem with communication. Now you must focus on the future and what can be done to both prevent this from happening again and also to treat any possible symptoms which may develop.

I would suggest that you contact your gastroenterology. There are sometimes gastroenterologist who specialize in problems which occur in the liver and pancreas. Again I think this is something you should discuss with your primary doctor to obtain an appropriate referral.

Again I am sorry that you experienced such a frustrating recent experience with the medical establishment. Trust me in knowing that this is an exception to the normal experience which occurred between a patient and a physician.

I thank you very much for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Robert.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Diagnosed with acute pancreantitus. Have a large pseudocyst in the tail of my pancreas. Other causes? 2 hours later
This was not a gastroenterologist. He was a regular M.D. My initial question kinda summed up the problems...there were many!! He broke several privacy laws by discussing my case with several of my family members that "were not" on my list of people to be privy to my medical records. He then continued to be very arrogant towards me and when he would ask me how much I drank I would adamentley deny this and in the middle of my sentence, he would walk out and slam the door. Because of the things that he said to my family, they told him that they had never known me to be a drinker or drug user however they have lived 4 hours from me for the past 12 years so like most regular people...they look at doctors as next to God and believe everything that they say...therefore,my mother and brother which is my only surviving relatives wrote me a 3 page letter stating that they no longer want anything to do with me or my children...this has broken not only theirs but my heart also.....this doctor has single handed ruined my life. As well as everything else he did he discussed my case with a nurse that was not on my case and she was subsequently terminated for accessing my files and breaking the privacy act so my question is....why did nothing happen to him since he was the one that opened the can of worms??? After I was released, I went and paid over 800.00 for my medical records and NONE of his own dictations reflect the things he was saying to me....he blamed the pancreatitus on the psueocyst and the medication Nuerontin that I take for nerve is this even legal?????
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
Hello and thank you for the follow up question.

Again I am very very sorry to hear about the experience that you had with your physician during the treatment of your hospitalization.

As for what I would suggest that you do at this point it seems that a medical opinion should be provided by a skilled and licensed physician. I would encourage you to have your records transferred to a primary care physician and possibly a gastroenterologist who can review everything you experienced in the hospitalization so that they can both affirm what you're thinking is and also provide appropriate recommendations. I want to make sure that your health is optimized at this point while we sort out everything else which contributed to all the misunderstanding which happened previously.

Also every hospital has a patient relations department. This department handles problems that occur between physicians and patients. Generally this department is very well equipped to help mitigate problems or misunderstandings. Every hospital I have been affiliated with in the Past has such a department and generally the people that work there are very compassionate and understanding.

Otherwise I do not necessarily think that there will be any legal repercussions for the position but if you feel that there should be some type of legal means of action you could possibly discuss this with a lawyer. Anytime you involve a lawyer in any degree it will be very costly so I encourage you to think about that very carefully.

I would first try to contact the hospital administration and patient relations to discuss what they would suggest as well.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I am always available if you have any additional concerns.


Dr. Robert
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor