Diabetic and smoker. Noticed brownish dark patch on chest. What is the cause?

Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi, My Father is 69 years old. He recently got some brownish dark patch in the middle of the chest (slightly on left from the middle, from patient point of view). He is a diabetic patient and he has a habit of smoking (2-3 times a day). I want to know what could be the cause of the patch ? Does he requires immediate medical attention.
His blood sugar is in control (between 150 to 200) and he takes the insulin daily basis.

Thanks for your help in Advance.
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing to us
Since rashes can be caused by multiple things, I would need a little more information before I can help you further.
(1) Did he suffer any injury?
(2)Does the rash fades on pressure or remain unchanged?
(3) What medication does your dad take?
(4) Is he allergic to anything?
(5) Is it possible for you to upload a picture using the 'Upload your reports' feature here?
We'll be able to take this discussion ahead once I have these answers
Kindest regards
Dr.S .K.Mukherjee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli