Diabetic. Is it safe to take silbostin capsules for SGPT level of 52?

Dr. Madhuri Patil

Diabetologist

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Diabetes
Question: I have SGPT level of 52 and doctor have suggested me to take Silbostin capsules. Is it fine?
I am diabetic and have moderate choleterol and taking Galvusmet 50/850 and Astatin daily. Are these meds the cause of the raise in SGPT? Usually how many days should I have this SILBOSTIN? What are the alternate (other than teh ones I am taking daily) medicines that I should take which will not trigger up the levels of SGPT/SGOT and Bilirubin or Jaundice? Are there any permenant curable medicines for Diabetes and Cholesterol?
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 55 minutes later
Hi there.

The tablet Silbostin is hepatic (liver) protector and prescribed only when you are at tendency to develop hepatic damage due to any known infection/ drug toxicity/ lipid toxicity etc.
In your case, was SGPT this high at baseline before you were given treatment for diabetes or you are unaware of it? Mostly people with type 2 diabetes like you tend to have slightly raised hepatic enzymes like SGPT/ SGOT the way you have right now and this does not require treatment with any hepatic protector as such.
The drug Galvus (Vildagliptin) is from DPP4 inhibitor category and this category of drugs are known to cause liver enzymes to go up upto certain extent for sure. Clolesterol medication (Astatin- atorvastatin) is not much a problem.
If you do not have any active viral infection causing liver damage (like hepatitis A, B, C, E), and if you are not a bad alcoholic then you do not require Silbostin for sure.
In fact, instead, you need to take care of your sugars and your weight which will bring down the liver enzymes.
As of now you consult a good Diabetologist or Endocrinologist and he/she would like to stop the tablet Galvusmet and would give alternative medications for sugar.
Kindly be very clear that as of today's date there is no permanent cure for type 2 diabetes at the stage where you are, but you can avoid all diabetes related problems and live a very normal and active life just by taking care of your sugars and other metabolic aspects as per your doctor's advice. Please accept this and move forward. Wish you all the best.
Follow up: Dr. Madhuri Patil 21 minutes later
Good Morning Doctor,

Thank you for your elaborate answer and I am very much pleased with the reply.
I am a non-resident Indian and in Dubai. Lifestyle here is extremely fast and I do go for a jog 4 to 5 days a week.
Inspite of this my sugar levels are 130 (Fasting) and 195 (PP). Incase I miss the Galvusmet 50/850 - the sugar level rises.
I do control my sugar intake. Is it good to have sugar alternatives like Stevia or Sucralose? What are the best sugar alternatives available in India?

Would humbly request you to prescribe a good drug for sugar level which will not increase the SGPT/SGOT, Bilirubin level etc. I dont want to go for any insulin.
Would also request you to prescribe a good med which will step up my metabolism.

Are there any meds which will reduce fats without any side-effects? Please mention the same too. I will take it although I go for jog/execise. Is Yoga in good for diabetics?

The doctors in Dubai are not that good and that is why I am seeking your advice.

Thanking you once again and would wait for your reply eagerly.

With regards,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 30 minutes later
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
As per XXXXXXX policy, I cannot write prescription of medications which are not available over the counter anywhere in the world. I am so sorry for this.
I can tell you the name of medications which will suit you and those are tablet metformin (the 'met' part of tablet Galvusmet) and gliclazide, but it is XXXXXXX to take these medications without prescription of doses which are suitable for you. To be honest, you can continue tablet Galvusmet at this stage as the SGPT is not that high to worry about your liver.
You do not take sugar does not mean you are on diet. Please make sure along with cutting down your sugar, you should cut down non-vegetarian food to twice or once a week, overall oil, ghee, butter, cheese intake to half of what you are having currently. You should stop absolutely the junk snacks like wafers, potato chips, fried corn snacks and also all bakery items without even giving a second thought. Exercise for people with Asian Indian genes has to be all 7 days of the weeks and not just 4 to 5 days of the week. So please make sure you exercise everyday. These dietary restictions and exercise will be like a very precious tablet taken to address all your problems- sugar, weight, high liver enzymes, high cholesterol. It's cheapest and easily doable!
Please understand the whole world would have gone for it had there been any magic tablet to reduce body fat. Unfortunately there isn't any. What all you have gained during all these years of stressful lifestyle, you have to shed over a few months' to years' time...by step by step actions. You are just 40 years and you can do it easily. people who do not do it at this stage, unfortunately repent later as they would have met with so many diabetes and heart related complications that there wouldn't be any way then.
Yoga are good for de-stressing and should be done along with muscular exercises and not as alternative to that. Your metabolism will improve only with good 60 to 75 minutes' aerobic exercise only. No medications recommended. I am sorry, but there are no good shortcuts.
Sucralose is the best sugar-free substitute to sugar and is available in India also. Brand name is Splenda. You can use it while actual cooking on the oven. Other safer sugar free tablets are Aspartame with brandname 'Sugar-free'. This you cannot use while your tea/ coffee is heated on the oven.
You do not require insulin at all. You just need intense lifestyle modifications and continue the Galvusmet and Astatin and check liver function test after 12 weeks of your diet and exercise and let me know how much it has fallen down.
Wish you all the very best.