Diabetic. Have multiple chronic lacunar infarcts on brain stem and unable to belch. Reason?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Question: 68 yr pt ,diabetes x30 yrs on 70\30 insulin , had 2 myocardial infarcts.for the last month had 3 tia episodes. had gastroscopy . results gastroscopy .and exam by ENT doctor. had ct scan . report showed approx 2.1x0.6 hypodensearea notedin the rt XXXXXXX capsulewithfeatures suggestive of a chronic ischaemic infarct still present. on present scan multiple chronic lacunar infarcts seen on brain stem .Pt c/o of being unable to belch . worse in pm
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Inability to belch does not suggest a serious organic medical illness. It may be related to conditions in the stomach or in the gastroesophageal junction. I may be able to comment better if you could specify or upload Gastroscopy test reports here. You can use this websites uploader to upload the images.

Though some neurological conditions also can cause problems in gastric movements, TIA episodes are associated with self resolving symptoms. Therefore it is unlikely to be related to the inability to belch.

Lacunar infarcts involving the deeper parts of the brain could led to weakness in the body either in limbs or in the muscles of the face and throat. The severity of the health upset due to Lacunar infarct can be graded based on the symptoms patients has.

Waiting for your response...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad