Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Developed sore throat and swollen gland in neck. Feeling tired and bloating. What is wrong?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2349 Questions
Hi, a few days ago I developed a sore throat and swollen gland in right side of neck. Also noticed that my upper arms are aching. Extreme tiredness combined with pains , and bloating in my stomach. As I have a redundant colon and irritable bowel it's difficult to know if the discomfort in the colon in related? Will get in to see a Dr asap for blood test, but was wondering if these symptoms will be helped with the use of antibiotics , as I have taken a 1000mg of cephalexin capsules , one a day , until such time that I can see a Dr. Would appreciate an opinion on what it may be, as I have never had aching in upper arms before. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute pharyngitis.

Acute pharyngitis is the sudden onset of inflammation of the throat, characterized by throat pain, fever, enlargement of the lymph node in the neck, etc. The swollen gland is the lymph node which enlarges when there is infection in the throat. Sometimes, when the infection is severe the pain is transmitted into the neck and upper arm.

The sore throat is not related to the intestinal problems.

My advice to you is:
1. To drink plenty of warm water
2. Continue with Cephalexin
3. Try taking medicines such as diclofenac or ibuprofen for the relief of pain.
4. Do gargles with povidone iodine solution for the speedy recovery.
5. Once you consult your doctor, request for an ECG along with other blood tests to rule-out any cardiac related problems.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor