Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Developed pain in knee, when in sitting position and same posture. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
I have developed slight pain in my right knee over last 2~3 weeks. It gets on me when I am in ground sitting position or when leg is in similar posture. It goes away when I get up and start walking for about 2 mins. I also feel mild pain while going down the stairs or when I massage my right Knee. Please advice on the cause and remedy.
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consider evaluation...

Detailed Answer:

It is normal to experience discomfort in knee when knee is subjected to prolonged strain like in prolonged squatting / yoga siting postures. However if the pain is severe and more pronounced on one side, it needs evaluation.

Age related knee changes usually being late after 40 years, however in some individuals due to various factors, the symptoms can appear prematurely earlier.

Unfortunately these changes are too subtle to be found on clinical examination. Hence radiological test are used as key tools to confirm the changes and to start early treatment. If I were to be your treating doctor, I would order X-ray of the knee AP and lateral view first before deciding to do CT/MRI scans of the joint to look for those changes. You can also get your complete blood count and ESR values along with X-rays to co-relate.
Remedial measures can be suggested after looking into the test results.

You can visit an orthopedic and plan the aforementioned tests.

I hope your weight is in ideal limits; if not you will need to shed extra weight. Also start exercises to keep your joints healthy and prevent premature degeneration.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Developed pain in knee, when in sitting position and same posture. Remedy? 5 minutes later
Even when I am not in prolonged posture. I still feel mild pain. My height is 173 cms and I am 78 kgs (slightly overweight).

One of my colleague told me it could be due to Uric Acid issues. Could that be a possibility.

Is there any medication to treat this?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
High uric acid gets deposited in joints to cause pain and discomfort. But the distal small joints such as fingers and toes are affected before large knee joints. In extremely rare circumstance we have high uric acid with only one knee joint pain. So the possibility of high uric acid is least possible.

If you wish to safely exclude high uric acid, you can get a serum uric acid level check; that should rule out high levels.

To my, the symptoms represent subtle degenerative changes. Radiological test can reveal those changes. If possible visit an orthopedician and plan for testing.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor