Developed itchy rashes on ankle and knee. Any permanent cure?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: My skin on my ankle and knee have developed some rashes and I get a lot of itching. It has started to spread nearby areas. I apply "Diplene" cream. However, it stops for a week or two and then the itching starts again. The skin is now turning black and is full of spots. This has been happening since I was a kid. I have lately observed that during winters, these areas start spreading and becomes rough and develops rashes.
Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

You seem to be getting eczema.

You need to treat it with application of a higher strength steroid cream like clobetasol for a couple of weeks. You will need a prescription for the same from your dermatologist. Clobetasol cream can be used only for two weeks at a time.

Eczema does tend to recur; hence moisturizing the skin daily is very essential.

You need to moisturize your skin with Vaseline thrice a day.

You can take an antihistaminic like loratidine for the itching.

Hope my recommendations are useful to you.

However, a skin lesion sometimes needs to be seen by a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. If you would like to upload a picture here, I would be able to look at it and advise accordingly. You can use the upload feature on the right hand side of the page.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Regards.