Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Could it be related to wheat allergy or celiac disease? Back sores, lack of focus.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 118 Questions
My question is about my dad's health. He is 75 and has had symptoms of dis-ease all through this life - tiredness, lack of focus, couldn't work properly all the time, farm finally fell apart, and he didn't do anything about it until his creatinine was at 1000. Along with this he had sores all over his back which look like Duhring's disease to me. does this skin condition and kidney disease seem like it could be related to something like a wheat allergy or celiac disease? Should his kidney doctor be doing anything about the skin condition. It does get worse when he isn't on dialysis. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 12 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Duhring's disease (Also known as Dermatitis Herpetiformis) is an itchy, blistering condition of the skin. It is related to hypersensitivity to gluten in diet.

However kidney failure can itself lead to itchy skin, due to elevated toxins, abnormally high calcium and phosphorous levels, high parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels.

Your nephrologist can get these tested. Although kidney failure and gluten hypersensitivity are not related but they may still coexist.

A dermatologist will have to look at his lesions to confirm if it is Duhring's disease. Kindly get him evaluated.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Could it be related to wheat allergy or celiac disease? Back sores, lack of focus. 1 hour later
Thank you, and you have answered my question, and in relation to it, may I ask this one: is there anything that will clear up the sores if it is due to any of those factors due to kidney failure?
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow-up.

It really would depend on the underlying abnormality. The therapy would vary with the cause.
Extent of response also varies from person to person.

Please let him get evaluated first.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Wishing your father a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor