Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Child with bump on the back of head. Need for consulting Doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My two year old has a bump on the back of his head about the size of a quarter that has been there about 3 weeks. Should we take him to the doctor? What could this be?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Such bump is most likely a lymph node. Usually it appears after a recent infection (of the respiratory tract, ear, mouth, etc). So if there were any infection recently the lymph node it is. It should be rounded, movable and painless. If so, no need to worry.
However if this lump is hard, with uneven surface, not movable you should consult your doctor.
Sometimes such lump can be also a benign skin lesion like lipoma or sebaceous cyst. In such case the lump is soft, rounded and not movable. usually painless, however the cyst can get infected and give some pain.
If this sounds like lipoma or cyst it is also not necessary to do anything with it if it does not bother your son.
In case of doubts, soft tissues ultrasound can tell what exactly it is.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor