Child is teething and having diarrhea with pink mucus in it. Is this serious?

Dr. Hema Yadav

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor! My 7 months old baby has had diarrhea for 3 days. She went every time after I fed her. About 6 time a day, small amount each time. Her stool look seedy since she has diarrhea. Today, I check her stool carefully, still look seedy, some mucous has little pink. I found a small pece of thick yellow paper in the stool too. It smell really bad. She is no fever, no vommit, playful. She doesn't look sick. She is also teething too. Is it anything serious? Why the mucous has little pink? Is that blood? What cause her problem? What I do now?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 43 hours later
Considering the details you have provided it does seem that your child could most probably suffering from gastroenteritis or less likely teething diarrhoea (since foul smelling and watery , mucus and very frequent).
It's very common for infants to catch viral gastroenteritis from the surroundings and it's self resolving . It may last a week and then gradually recover but if persistent treatment with antibiotic must be considered.
Now the best way to confirm is to get a stool routine test done which will show if there are pus cells or occult blood in it which indicates infection.
Yes the pink mucus could be due to occult traces of blood.
So please take your child to a pediatrician and get a stool test done .
The doctor can start supportive treatment to reduce the stool frequency and improve consistency.
Meanwhile you have to maintain your child's hydration by frequent sips of water or oral rehydration solution & adequate feeding.
Probiotics like enterogermina and zinc supplement might help in faster recovery .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery .
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 14 hours later
Hi doctor! My baby doesn't has diarrhae since yesterday, she poo 1 time and I have check her stool, didn't see any pink or red. But I know some time the blood in stool will be invisible. Since yesterday, I have observed her, she is sleepiness more often then usual, but she still eat, crawl, sit, and pull up. She is still playful. She get sleepy every 2 hours. Do you think is anything serious? I am going to take her to our doctor on Monday to have a check. It is on weekend where I live, so I can't take her now. As she get sleepy every 2 hours after she play ( sleep total 4.5 hours day time. 12 hours night time). Normally daytime, she only sleep 3 hours. Do you consider any head or brain injury?
She Does looks tired then usual too. she wipe her eyes a lot. She does has a little cough, sneezing. No fever and vomited. still eat and play. When she sleep, does make noisy sound. As a first time mom, don't have any experience. How can you tell if a baby have head or brain injury? Just worried she has any head or brain injury that I don't know. Thanks so much for answering my many question. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Please do not worry , it doesn't seem anything serious as of now .
Excessive sleepiness can also be observed in children during an illness or during recovery from illness , if the child is not adequately hydrated etc.
Its ok if your baby sleeps a few hours extra . If she is otherwise playful ,not lethargic or irritable ,passing urine stool normally , no vomiting or involuntary movements ( seizures etc) then there is not likely any risk of brain injury or infection.It could also be seen during teething when babies have some malaise , fever , bowel upset without any specific reason.
Yes she could have a viral infection still causing the bowel and sleep disturbance however it will most likely resolve within a week .So you can wait for your routine appointment to get her evaluated by your doctor for confirmation .
There is no urgency at present .
Just make sure to feed her well to maintain her hydration .
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow up: Dr. Hema Yadav 13 hours later
Hi doctor! Can you please explain what is different between excessive sleepy and lethargic? Thanks a lot!
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Lethargy can involve a number of behaviors. These range from being in an immobile state to overwhelming tiredness. Children with lethargy may appear tired or lack the energy they normally possess. Lethargy also can be accompanied by mental changes, such as disinterest in usual activities or feeding.
Excessive sleepy baby will be back to normal after completing the sleep and in between naps but lethargic baby won't .
In case of brain injury there are many varied signs like vomiting , convulsion , neck rigidity , floppy limbs or body, temperature changes , weakness or clumsiness of muscles of limbs etc.
According to your description it just seems that your baby has a cold or viral respiratory infection which makes her sleep disturbed and fragmented & her energy depleted , hence causing the tiredness or sleepiness .
I would recommend you do get her evaluated by her pediatrician in case there are any new signs ( of lethargy as mentioned above).
As of now the most important thing to boost her immunity so that the can recover faster is to maintain her hydration ( plenty of fluids ) and nutrition ( nutritious home made diet) , and adequate rest and sleep .
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing your child good health.