Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Child is having extremely small penis. What is this condition called?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1846 Questions
My 5 yr old grandson has an extremely small penis. It literally looks like a button, it has not grown AT ALL since birth. I'm not sure if his testicles have any descended & I don't see a scrotum. What does this mean? Is there a name for this condition so that I can speak with his mother about this
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 4 hours later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

A extremely small penis is called a micropenis.
This conditions can occur with reduced testosterone production and may be associated with various syndromes.

Absence of scrotum and palpable testis is suggestive of ambiguous genitalia. Now your doctor will look if there is a palpable testis or not. Further investigations like ultra sound examination and karyotyping may be required.

I request you to take your grandson to the doctor at the earliest possible for further examination and investigations.

Hope this helps.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor