Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

What causes underdevloped penis in a child and could this be due to hormonal deficiency?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
my child is 13 years old now . but XXXXXXX is not grown .why ? what may be the problem ? if any hormone deficiency is there ? it can be corrected
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Depends on physical presentation of genitals now Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The penis of a 13 year-old child when not erect, in a shriveled state can appear to be small, but that does not necessarily mean that it has not developed or grown. But, if indeed the penis has not changed in size from the time of birth till not, then there could be a possible hormonal imbalance. The most important thing would be to check on the testes. May I ask if both your sons testes have descended? I would only be mildly worried if your son has undescended testicles or a growth problem since birth. Looking forward to your kind reply. If there has been a growth defect since birth, then this could be a different problem all together. I would recommend you to visit a pediatrician (a child doctor) and have your son examined physically and conduct a blood investigation to check on the hormone levels. I hope you find my response helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor