Can cryptorchidism cause male infertility?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 8 Nov 2016 in Sexual Health
Question: My name is XXXXXXX I am 27 years old I am male and when I was born I had cryptorchidism. U have been having unprotect sex with 1 person for 4 years and nothing has happened. Is there a I high percentage of being infertile from this procedure.. it was both of my testicles and also had a double hernia.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes cryptorchidism is associate with male infertility

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Yes cryptorchidism is associated with male infertility. When intervention is done in early age, percentage of infertility decreases.
The incidence of azoospermia(absence of sperms) in unilateral cryptorchidism is 13% and this figure increases to 89% in untreated bilateral cryptorchidism, making cryptorchidism the most common etiologic factor of azoospermia in the adult.

Better to go for semen analysis to check your fertility. The best semen sample is given after 3 days of abstinence. Sample should be given at laboratory or should be reached to laboratory within half an hour.

Revert back to me with report.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.
Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar