Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Child is having cold, runny nose, ear pain. Given tminc syrup. What should I do next?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14908 Questions
Hi , my 2.8 years old baby girl is having cold/running nose . since this morning she is having ear pain. I have given Tminc syrup and that helped for couple of hours but again same . what should I do now
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

A cough and cold can , in some children, last up to a few weeks despite medication. At your daughter's age,you can expect her to have up to 10 colds a year because her immune system is now learning how to fight off infection

The runny nose would be helped by using a decongestant. These can be in the form of nose drops or as oral medication. If you use the nose drops then you can only use them for up to 5 days because if used for longer , it makes the stuffed up nose worse. The name of the nose drop is otrivine.
The oral decongestants are usually available in cough syrups and will be combined with antihistamines which would also help relieve her symptoms.
The use of a chest rub such as vicks or mentol rub may also help her.

Ear infections can occur along with the cold and it is likely that the pain she is feeling in her ear is because of an ear infection.
In some children the infection resolves on its own without any antibiotics which is why pediatricians may sometimes just give pain medication initially.
If you have paracetamol syrup or ibuprofen syrup, you can give her to help with the pain in the ear. The dose is according to her weight but it is usually written on the bottle how much to give according to the different weights.

If she develops a cough , you can buy a syrup that has the decongestant, antihistamine and cough suppressant all in one.
You can speak to your local pharmacist to find out which one is available in your area.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child is having cold, runny nose, ear pain. Given tminc syrup. What should I do next? 17 hours later
Hello Doctor, thanks for your advise.
Yesterday I gave her 5 ML paracetamol + ibuprofen syrup ( Combiflam) every 8 hours.
I have noticed she complained after 6-7 hours of medicine the pain again. Also she is developing the cough. Though she is slightly better today but still complaining the belly pain/ Body ache/ear pain after the regular interval . Should we stay at home with this medicine as its only 2nd day of her pain or we should see a local doc here? One more thing I would like to share that I tried to look into her ear and found OK , meant there was not any symptoms of fluid , etc..

Waiting for your expert advice.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
If there is worsening of the pain today compared with yesterday, she should be taken to see a doctor today.
If the pain persists beyond today then she should be taken to see a doctor tomorrow.
It is difficult to see the ear drum simply with the human eye because the ear canal is so narrow, it is possible that the ear drum can be inflammed and this is not visible unless an otoscope is used to look pass the ear canal.

Feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Child is having cold, runny nose, ear pain. Given tminc syrup. What should I do next? 4 minutes later
No fortunately , she has not complained for ear pain today but she did get a fever measuring 101 F. But the fever has gone with paracitamol syrup . Will keep an eye on her situation today and decide as per that.
Any way thanks
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
You are welcome, feel free to contact with any other queries and I hope she feels better soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor